In California, all drivers are required to obtain car insurance. The state also sets minimum requirements for liability coverage, the amount paid to the other driver if you cause an accident. The minimums are:
- $15,000 for the injury or death of a single individual
- $30,000 for the injury or death of two or more individuals
- $5,000 for property damage
Remember, these are the legal minimums, not the recommendations. It’s smart to buy additional coverage. Don’t believe it? Here are 10 reasons to go higher.
- You’ll protect your personal assets. If you are found to be responsible for an accident, your insurer will pay for the damage up to the coverage limits. If the damage exceeds the coverage limits, you can be held responsible for the difference.
- Medical care is expensive. The Tavss Fletcher law firm estimates that a disabling injury resulting from a car crash costs an average of $61,600—much more than the $15,000 limit required in California.
- Medical expenses are on the rise. Medical costs are expected to increase by more than 6 percent in 2017. Higher costs mean higher claims.
- Cars cost more than $5,000. If you total someone’s car, your $5,000 coverage isn’t going to be enough to pay for the damage.
- Car repair costs are on the rise. Car repair costs have been increasing, partially because new cars have technology that is expensive to fix. Your insurance limits should rise, too.
- Even good drivers have bad days. You may think you don’t need higher limits because you’re a safe driver. Unfortunately, even good drivers have bad days. That’s what insurance is for.
- It’s a good deal. Most people can raise their liability limits significantly without paying that much more.
- Litigation is scary—and expensive. One recent lawsuit in California resulted in a $700,000 settlement. Wouldn’t you rather know that your insurance company had your back?
- It’s the responsible thing to do. Driving is a huge responsibility. If you cause an accident that injures someone, you want to make sure your insurance covers all of that person’s medical care.
- You’ll have one less thing to stress about. Increasing your liability limit will give you peace of mind.
Do you have the coverage you need? If not, contact Dashers for quote.