Cinco de Mayo parties are actually more common in the United States than they are in Mexico. In Mexico, the holiday commemorates Mexico’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. In the United States, it’s a celebration of Mexican-American heritage marked by big festivities with plenty of amazing food and drink.
California in particular has many spectacular celebrations. If you want to join the good times this Cinco de Mayo, here’s a list of some of the big events taking place throughout California from May 5 to May 7.
- Fiesta en la Calle 2017: Located at the Southside Park in Sacramento, the Fiesta en la Calle 2017 Cinco de Mayo festival actually takes place of Sunday, May 7. It will feature a car and bike show, music, dance, art, food and drinks. Admission is free.
- El Patron Cinco de Mayo Festival: Located in downtown Riverside, El Patron Cinco de Mayo Festival offers good times for the entire family on May 5. In addition to food and drink, there will be games and activities.
- The 2017 Cinco de Mayo Celebration: Located in San Francisco’s Mission District, this family-friendly celebration includes music, dance, arts and crafts, a Beer Garden and food. It’s happening on May 6.
- Anaheim 5 de Mayo Fiesta: Located in Anaheim, this celebration is organized by a non-profit dedicated to promoting Hispanic-American cultural activities to benefit the community. The event is on May 6 and May 7 and will include a ballet competition this year.
- Cinco de Mayo Festival: Located in Santa Ana, this festival takes place on May 6 and May 7. It’s a free event with fun for the entire family.
- The 2017 El Concilio Cinco de Mayo Family Fiesta: Located at Weber Point in Stockton, this celebration includes live entertainment, food and drink and is being held on May 7. It’s free for children age 12 and younger and $5 for everyone else.
- Fiesta Old Town: Located in San Diego, the Fiesta Old Town celebration runs from May 5 to May 7. It’s a huge event with live music, an auto showcase, lucha libre matches, a petting zoo, pony rides and more. Participating bars and restaurants are offering food and drink specials.
In addition to the big festivals, many nightclubs, bars and restaurants will host their own celebrations. There are a lot of good times to be had, but however you decide to celebrate, make sure your festivities include a safe ride home. Happy Cinco de Mayo from all of us at Dashers Auto Insurance!